Wednesday, November 12

My Brain, My Poor Aching Brain

So, I guess you all know about Franken... And the recount. ::sigh::

I mean, I really really dislike Franken. Mostly because he's a sexist pig. I don't think anyone that rude and vulgar should be elected to office. But honestly... How stupid can a state get? Did we already forget the absolute DISASTER of Ventura. (And his infamous quote of, "You've never hunted until you've hunted man." Or, "Religion is for those with a weak mind"?)

I guess it's just that I remember when I was a little kid, and I dreamed that one day I could be the first female president. I mean, these people were like superheroes. They changed the world, they made things better, or worse with the flick of a pen on paper.

Is it wrong of me to want someone in office who is truly passionate about this country, about fairness, common sense, protecting our fellow man, being kind and stern and respectable?

I'm tired of politicians that act like spoiled children.

I'm tired of mud slinging and finger pointing. Admittedly it's always been part of politics but wasn't there a time, not that long ago that someone had to get elected by their OWN merit?

When groups like ACORN would have been arrested en masse? Whatever happened to treason? When did treason start being something protected under free speech? It makes me sick to see people destroying the rules, shattering them across our country like a glass on a tile kitchen floor.

For those of you that don't know, ACORN is a VERY large organization here in Minnesota. And for those of you that also don't know, no instance of voter fraud was reported here... Am I the ONLY one that finds that, oh, I don't know, a little odd? And don't bother trying to find anything on it... It was only reported once on the news and I was lucky enough to see it. It's not on any website. I tried finding it for over an hour. You seriously can't find that statement anywhere, or a correction if it was indeed a mistake. Again, little odd?

Perhaps the Democratic party finds this justifiable because the Republican party "stole" two elections. Apparently winning is cheating. And anyone that says that a party isn't aware when something like this is going on, is completely daft.

And FYI I'm not a Republican. I'm not a Democrat. I don't class myself as Independent or a Libertarian (although I'm probably closer to Libertarian than either major party). I try very hard not to label myself or be forced into a situation where I have to. But it happens quite often.

I'm just having a particularly hard time this election. And no, it's not because Obama was elected, I'm not happy about that, but there's always next time. He was elected, I can't get mad that my country had its' say. That's the way things are supposed to be. I wasn't thrilled about McCain and he definitely shot himself in the foot many times. It's his fault he lost the election, it's the party's fault they nominated a man that was perhaps too well known, and not for the best of reasons. I mean, I personally have nothing wrong with Palin but she was NOT a good choice for this election. Not at all. I think being a Republican woman is particularly difficult, especially with the media focus.

I thought for a time that I would vote for Obama, but I got to know the man and his policies and I didn't like what I learned. Apparently the country disagreed with me lol We'll see what happens. I hope he's a good president but I have many many reservations.

Anyway, this isn't about the presidential election.

My beef is with who's going to be my senator.

I just feel at a complete lost. Here, one of my dearest friends, a passionate feminist, voted for Al Franken. I asked her if she'd lost her mind. I brought up all the things he's said about women, gays, marriage and religion. And all she said was, "Well, no I don't like that..." So WHY did you vote for him? "Because..."

She couldn't answer, and the simple fact is, she voted for him because he's a Democrat, and she's a member of the DFL.

There is nothing, absolutely NOTHING, I detest more than voting party lines just "because." Half the people I know swear they're true blue Dems, but when we talk about policies and what they want for this country, they're voting AGAINST everything they want. They think Conservative yet vote Liberal, because they've never taken the time to educate themselves on which members of the parties vote for and against what.

It makes me insane to hear people, both left and right, talk about who they voted for yet have no explanation as to why they did so. There needs to be a pretest for voting. If you don't know where the candidates stand you have to sit through an unbiased video letting you know where the candidates say they stand on issues, and where they have voted.

I also happen to think there should be a limit on funding for elections. Want to see the commercials go down by a ridiculous amount next election? Give the candidates a budget they have to adhere to, whether it's public OR private funding. I know a public funding limit is already in place, but there ought to be one on private too. It shouldn't be a case of who's candidate is richer wins. Of course there would have to be a system in place to figure out the budget for each election, it couldn't just be a standard number, inflation wouldn't allow that to work.

Sigh. I would love a nice simple black and white set of rules. No putting gum in hair, no name calling, and I swear to god if you poke him one more time I'm pulling the car over and getting the fly swatter. That sort of thing.

And I think you should have to be registered voted one month before a presidential election. Not like here where we have same day registration. That's just BS.

Sorry everyone, I'm just majorly pissed at many of my fellow Minnesotans/Americans for their lack of knowledge they so willfully employed during this year.

With that said... I'm very very proud at the turn out. For the first time in a long time, it feels like people cared. Sadly not so much about WHO they voted for, but at least for the act of voting itself. For that I am immensely proud.

I guess living in a state with one of the nastiest Senatorial elections in history made me a little bitter this year.

And for those out there that insist on arguing with me over the definitions... (None of which read this blog but by god I need to put it out here.)

Main Entry: con·ser·va·tism
Pronunciation: \kən-ˈsər-və-ˌti-zəm\
Function: noun
Date: 1832

1 capitalized a: the principles and policies of a Conservative party b: the Conservative party

2 a: disposition in politics to preserve what is established b: a political philosophy based on tradition and social stability, stressing established institutions, and preferring gradual development to abrupt change ; specifically : such a philosophy calling for lower taxes, limited government regulation of business and investing, a strong national defense, and individual financial responsibility for personal needs (as retirement income or health-care coverage)

3: the tendency to prefer an existing or traditional situation to change


And...

Main Entry: Democratic–Republican
Function: adjective
Date: 1818

: of or relating to a major American political party of the early 19th century favoring a strict interpretation of the Constitution to restrict the powers of the federal government and emphasizing states' rights


And...

Main Entry: lib·er·tar·i·an
Pronunciation: \ˌli-bər-ˈter-ē-ən, -ˈte-rē-\
Function: noun
Date: 1789

1: an advocate of the doctrine of free will

2 a: a person who upholds the principles of individual liberty especially of thought and action b capitalized : a member of a political party advocating libertarian principles


And...

Main Entry: 2independent
Function: noun
Date: 1644

1 capitalized : a sectarian of an English religious movement for congregational autonomy originating in the late 16th century, giving rise to Congregationalists, Baptists, and Friends, and forming one of the major political groupings of the period of Cromwell

2: one that is independent ; especially often capitalized : one that is not bound by or definitively committed to a political party


Rant is over. Continue with your lives. Thanks to those of you that voting knowing your candidates voting history and stance on current issues not yet up to vote.

3 Comments:

Blogger Will said...

Given the nasty races in Minnesota (especially the Senate) and the party committees running the nastiest ads, I've got another word for your dictionary: libel

It used to mean something.

13/11/08 9:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Love the rant, Lily. I agree with you. Not having watched the news in the past few days since I worked/slept/worked/slept, etc I gather Al Frankin won. My deepest condolances! But you go girl! I love it that you are not afraid to say what you think. Hey...how is the job situation going now? De ;)

13/11/08 4:58 PM  
Blogger betty said...

you are so wise, Lily; I used to say that about you before, and it is still true; why don't others get it? you got it about voting; to be informed of who you are voting for; what they stand for; what they are going to do, etc. I can't tell you how many people were not informed over this past election and voted only on color (I heard it directly from their mouths); its just sad. I fear the next 4 years of our country, but I will support who is president and I will pray for him every single day; our country needs that

I totally agree with you about giving them just a certain amount of money to use for campaigning. Imagine what could have been done with that money to give food to the hungry, pay for meds for those who can't afford it, etc. And so many people made up their mind earlier than later; all those ads, such a waste of money.

again you are so wise

(okay I missed something; who is missing with Buddy? a dog?)

betty

15/11/08 3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home