Friday, October 6

The Weight of the World

Oh my my what do we have here... Well ain't that something... A designer going to extremes... Shocking.

Ladies, gentlemen, I really must protest.

Firstly, in my oh so unhumble opinion, that lovely woman is plus size. As plus size is meant to be. Not the average plus size model.

A size 10-14 plus sized model isn't plus size. She's the average woman.

Let's get something else straight...

Just because the average woman in American is a size 10-14 does NOT mean she's fat.

Muscle, butt, hips, thighs, bone structure, all play a factor in getting a pair of friggin jeans that fit right.

My cousin has a huge butt. No, really, she does. She wears about two or three size larger jeans than she actually is.

A girl I used to work with was a size 12, the same as me, she was about 5' 8" and skinny as a rod, I was 5' 2" ish and fat. We wore the exact same jeans.

My point? Size, and BMI really, don't mean anything. Muscle weighs about ten times more than fat.

Did you know Brad Pitt's BMI makes him morbidly obese? Or that Will Smith needs to lose about 40 lbs according to his? Serena Williams? Hehe, her BMI is too high too.

BMI means nothing. It's body fat content that means something.

It's not the weight that gets you, it's the fat.

For instance, according to my BMI I need to lose about 60 lbs. Anyone that looks at me knows I don't need to. But according to my body fat content I do need to lose about 20 lbs.

My doctor has never once mentioned me losing weight.

The ONLY reason I want to is I want to make sure I STAY healthy.

I don't want to look like a model. I think they're scary thin.

I don't want to look like any of the current hotties in Hollywood. I think they look sick.

I want to look like curvaceous Mae West, who lets face it, has some serious curves and quiet frankly was one of the strongest female sex symbols of old Hollywood.

I want the stunning curves of Sophia Loren, who I grew up admiring in her movies.

I want the gentle softness of Marilyn Monroe, a beautiful healthy, size 12, 14 at her highest.

What happened to the real women ladies? When did we ditch our curves for the cocaine starved anorexia?

When did ribs become a turn on instead of dinner?

I'm not saying that being overweight is good. It's not. But losing weight for the dress, instead of buying a larger size, makes no sense to me. The clothes were made for me, I wasn't made for the clothes.

And another thing...

I have to put a big fat blame sticker on a lot of men for this obsession with weight too. When you're with your wife and you stare at the waitress that's a size 0, that burns guys. That really really burns. The only time that's okay is when you turn back to your lady and say "my god, I think I could see through her" or "I wonder if it gets cold being spare ribs" or something along those lines.

Really guys. Worship your woman. I mean it. If she gaines a few pounds, I doubt you'll notice, but I promise you she will.

And ladies, what you need to realize, is that men eat what we make for dinner. Figuratively speaking of course. If we're going to give them ribs and sticks for legs, they'll take it. No offense to guys. But it's not so much the body that makes a guy hot under the collar as it's the attitude. It's the "look" and smile. It's the way you flip your hair back and lay your hand on your neck. It's the way you bite your lip and laugh.

Being sexy has nothing to do with weight. Some of the most sexy gorgeous women I've met were anything but skinny.

I grew up around enough men to know that much.

Don't panic at a few pounds ladies. Don't think he's noticed. Remember, he didn't notice when you died your hair and cut it all off. He won't notice a few pounds.

Women to me are the most beautiful creatures on earth. I feel very blessed to fall into that category. I think women are the most fun to photograph, the curves, the eyes, the attitude, is fascinating.

Real women have curves.

Real women embrace every inch of their body, accepting their unique beauty.

Not every man loves a Calista Flockhart, and not every man loves a Sophia Loren.

But if I bet my money on which a man would prefer to hold in his arms every night, I'd bet on the body that's not going to stab him.

Just a thought. ::evil grin::

All thoughts are welcome on this, and I'd love to see a discussion on it.




Interesting links:
http://internelizabeth.blogspot.com/2006/09/loving-those-curves.html

http://reinaelena.blogspot.com/2006/08/why-fat-is-back-in-hollywood.html

Must see movie for all women:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0296166/

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!! You knew I'd love this post and I do ;)

When I met C - I was 170-180 pounds. Wearing the same "size" jeans as I do now 18/20. The "thinnest" I can be without looking anorexic, is 165-160. I've BEEN 120-130 pounds before. I wasn't happy at that weight.

According to BMI as you were saying my "ideal" weight is supposed to be 115-145 pounds. Are they nuts! Yes. they are. There's no way I want to weigh that much. I wouldn't BE healthy or feel good at all. No matter what their numbers say. You're exactly right it's the body fat content which matters. Nothing more.

I definitely don't want to be a waif. Never my desire. I want to be healthy. As you do :) If I could get back to 170-180 pounds. I would be content.

I would still "technically" be "overweight" based on numbers alone, but I know I'd be healthier and feel better and embrace my body in all its curvy glory :)

6/10/06 10:29 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Great entry. I think it is more important about being a healthy weight than a stick. It is funny how throughout history women of plus sizes were considered lovely and only in recent times has that changed, but what goes around comes around, so maybe that will one day change agian.

7/10/06 9:51 AM  
Blogger emmapeelDallas said...

Great post, Lily!

:)

J

7/10/06 5:29 PM  
Blogger Charley said...

Fabulous post, Lily. I completely agree. Health is most crucial - and while sexiness is fabulous give me healthy every day.
Charley
http://journals.aol.com/cdittric77/courage

7/10/06 8:07 PM  
Blogger Lippy said...

I think most people want one simple thing...to be considered attractive by the one they are attracted to. If you feel "sexy" you ARE sexy, and that's all there is to it.
As a normal, red-blooded American male, I can tell you that the likes of Nicole Richie do nothing for me at all.

LOL, I'm 6'4 235...I've eaten meals bigger than Nicole.

12/10/06 3:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I just love this entry, Lily! Very well said! De :)

5/11/06 12:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home