Friday, July 21

Caged

I've always had a problem with weight. Even when I was little and still skinny. Weight has been a major part of my life, always. My mother was always talking about her weight, how fat she was, yo-yo dieting, hating herself, being vocal. It imprinted in me that being skinny, thin as least, is the only way to be beautiful.

The last time I was thin, was when I was seven years old. When I was eight I was put of steroids for asthma, as many of you know, and gained a devastating amount of weight. Steroids, I'm sure you know, never leave your body. My mother took me off of them because of the changes, because she took me off of them I was allowed to grow out of my asthma.

My mom and dad called me Skinny Minnie when I was little because I was a beanpole. Straight up and down, thin as a rail. My weight was emphasized. I gained weight, very very quickly, and was teased and tormented by a lot of people, the kids were actually nicer than the adults. Then I hit puberty, wow, let's add a bit more to a bad situation. I gained more weight, like most people do, even if it's a little. I did my damnedest to cover myself up completely. Lots of loose clothing, shapeless, unappealing, wanted to melt into the shadows basically. I hated myself, and even though my parents knew that, that was the one time weight wasn't talked about.

I got older, lost a lot of baby fat, and started to act "like a girl" again. Wasn't as interested in covering myself up with a tent, but still wasn't happy letting people see me.

I've always been ashamed of my body. When I was skinny, I was too skinny, I didn't look like a girl, I was boyish. I got fat, let's face it, I was fat. I was never, in my mind, pretty. And I still don't think I am to be honest. I know that some people think so, but I think if it came to a poll to see what people thought, it'd be that I was average, plain. And I'm okay with being average, I'm fine with that. I'm not fine with being fat.

The last few months I've gained weight, and I know it. My mother was kind enough to help point that out the other day. I mentioned eating healthier and she started talking to me about all these diets, how they work, and wouldn't listen when I said I didn't want a diet, I wanted a change.

I'm tired of looking in the mirror and hating myself again. I'm tired of wanting to cover up in sweatshirts and loose clothing again. I'm afraid to end up back where I was. I was so terribly unhappy. Those were the worst days of my life. I hated myself, I hated my body, I hated my life. I don't want that much hate in my life again.

There's so much against me right now, that I don't know how I can really change anything. I'm emotionally worn out. I'm caged. Trapped in a place I don't want to be. And I want to work to get myself out of here. I need out of here.

3 Comments:

Blogger betty said...

(((Lily)). You are beautiful and I don't care that you will shake your head and say "no I'm not" as you are reading this comment. You are beautiful and you have an inner beauty as well that comes out in your writings and your compassion for others.

Weight and body image; I've struggled with that for years.

You are on the right course; healthy foods and lifestyle; something you can live with for the rest of your life.

Here's what one of the doctors I used to type for would give for advice for healthy eating.

Take a dinner plate; imagine dividing it into four parts. Two parts of it fill with salad; one part protein; the other part starch like potatoes, corn, rice, pasta. I think it is a very doable and reasonable thing.

I can imagine you feel caged; any chance of getting out of that cage soon? Any plans to do so??

21/7/06 12:00 PM  
Blogger Theresa Williams said...

I think the only thing that can cure this problem is love. The love and acceptance of family and/or a life partner but especially we have to learn to love ourselves and to be thankful for life: fat life, skinny life, and everything in between. We have the opportunity to make a difference in the world. To bring something good to it. You can do that in many ways, not the least of which is your writing.

21/7/06 2:10 PM  
Blogger emmapeelDallas said...

I agree with Theresa, and also I'll quote Anais Nin: And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
I think you are feeling the need to blossom.

XO

Judi

24/7/06 7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home