Thursday, February 7

What THE?!?

Today I have lost hope in humanity.

The first customer who came in was this little old guy (by old I mean OLD) and started to open the panels on the fireplaces, pointing to the knobs and saying "Well that's what I got."

Uh... Yeah that's great, but that doesn't tell me the make and model. Which if you need replacement parts I'm gonna kinda have to know.

"That knobby thing, that's what I got there."

"But I'll still need to know the model sir."

"Well it's just like that."

"Each fireplace is different sir, I can't give you a price without knowing the make at least."

"Hmm... Well it's like that."

OKAY! I GOT IT! KNOBBY THINGS!

Sheesh...

Then he went and stood in front of the door and stared out for about 15 minutes.

The second guy, although he talked and acted more friendly, was just as odd.

No cars pull in, no trucks, nada. All the sudden I see this guy zip across the parking lot and into the showroom. He b lines it for the back of the showroom, and then I hear the bathroom door close.

Ooookay... If you gotta go you gotta go. But he just came from the direction of the gas station, which has bathrooms. Huh.

Then I call mom and dad to see how far away they are, because this is just a friggin weird day, and I feel someone watching me, I turn, and RIGHT next to me is that guy that just walked in.

It took a lot not to jump.

"You sell electric?"

"Uh, yes, we do, it's in that room right behind me." (Note, I'm still on the phone.)

"This room here?" And he darts off into that room.

I hang up and come in there as he's about to bounce back out.

"What model are you looking for?"

"Oh I don't know. Gimme the prices on all of them."

Shit. I don't know where the prices are on two of them.

"Okay, let me get you the price on the Markham."

I get him the price and his response is a very bouncy hyper, "Cool cool cool." I don't need to tell you what his reaction was when I told him the price was with the mantel.

Then he's all like, "So this is a family business right? All the [last name]s."

"Yes, it is, all family run, small business."

"Neato. So yeah nice to meet you!"

Shakes my hand, vigorously.

Then with the same amount of gusto he had entering, he fled the scene.

I was left with a complete feeling of, "WHAT just happened???"

Oh it's a beautiful day in this neighborhood, beautiful day in the neighborhood, would you be mine? Could you be mine? Won't you be my neighbor?

This is why people smoke pot isn't it?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

AHAHAHA! Too hilarious. Very good writing. I don't think it was pot...more like...meth, maybe? Who knows... I worked retail for ten years...oy vay...stories every day. Hope your parents arrived soon there after. ;) C.

7/2/08 12:57 PM  
Blogger Wil said...

Yes, this is why the merchant class smokes pot. Must have been a shift in the ozone layer - an Alzheimer's sufferer AND a Manic-Depressive in full mania! How lucky can a young woman get?

7/2/08 2:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

OMG too funny! De ;)

13/2/08 4:12 AM  
Blogger Lippy said...

Whew, at least you came out of that one with your sanity intact, unlike the "Cool Cool" guy.

Is the old guy still there? :)

13/2/08 9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home