Thursday, August 10

All the Ugly Details

I'm warning you now, this is about my health. There will be icky gross details you might not care to know. This could be the epitome of TMI. But it's my life, it's something I'm scared about, and I would have to say it's fairly serious. If you can't handle hearing about all my body, don't read anywhere past this.

I've had six yeast infections, in eight months. My first EVER in January. My periods hurt like a bitch on the first day, a lot of the time I can't get out of bed, even with advil. It's not unusual for me to completely miss a period. They never are on time. My skin always breaks out incredibly bad right before my period starts. I'm prone to urinary tract infections. I've been tested for cystic ovaries, came up negative.

At current moment, I'm freaked out. There are so many bad effects from not just the TREATMENT of a yeast infection, but just having it to begin with. There's even cases where women have had the chances of having children seriously damaged from this. It's scary.

Now, why I don't just go to a doctor you ask...

Simple.

We don't have health insurance anymore. It expired last month, we couldn't afford it. And I think everyone knows damn well I doctor won't even recognize your existence without insurance, I grew up with asthma and no insurance, I'd know.

So I have no idea what to do. Right now I'm just fighting to tell my mother that I have my sixth yeast infection of the year. Last time she flipped out, I told her to calm down, wait, it's probably no big deal. Now I wish I HAD gone to the doctor. Too bad you can't change the past.

I know what I most likely need is to be put on the pill, it'd balance my hormones out, I know plenty of women that have had to do it. It's certainly not as dangerous as it used to be. Especially not for someone my age. But HOW to do it... That's the problem. I have no insurance and I can't really afford to see a doctor. The latter of which I know my mother is going to insist on and my only concern being insurance and whether we can actually afford it.

I guess I'm just writing all this out trying to figure out what the hell I need to do. Any thoughts are obviously welcome.

Sometimes I think life's out to kick my ass, then I realize, it's all a lesson, and for some reason I'm being taught this one.

But I still wonder... Couldn't the lessons be gentler?

6 Comments:

Blogger Wil said...

Go to the nearest "Planned Parenthood" office -- they'll fix you up with a doc who will put you on the pill for a very reasonable or no cost visit.

Secondly, do some research on UTI's and how to change the ph of your body. Vitamin C and drinking a glass of Cranberry Juice (not Cranberry juice cocktail -- read the ingredients -- if it isn't at least 27% cranberry juice, it isn't what you want -- The best source is some frozen cranberry juice concentrate taken straight. Tastes like hell, but does the trick).

Thirdly, looks like you need to get stricter with your personal hygeine habits. No baths -- showers only. Dry extra throughly. Use a talcum-based powder, not one made of corn starch or corn silk. Wash all underwear, wash cloths and towels in HOT water with bleach. Speaking of underwear -- no more anal floss thongs -- white cotton briefs, loose not snug. Be especially careful to wash your panties alone -- cross infection is a very real possibility and one your mother and siblings (if any) won't appreciate.

Good luck. And DON'T SCRATCH!

10/8/06 2:56 PM  
Blogger dreaminglily said...

"Go to the nearest "Planned Parenthood" office -- they'll fix you up with a doc who will put you on the pill for a very reasonable or no cost visit."

Talked to my mom soon as we get insurance (very soon) I'm going in to our docotor.

"Secondly, do some research on UTI's and how to change the ph of your body. Vitamin C and drinking a glass of Cranberry Juice (not Cranberry juice cocktail -- read the ingredients -- if it isn't at least 27% cranberry juice, it isn't what you want -- The best source is some frozen cranberry juice concentrate taken straight. Tastes like hell, but does the trick)."

Done that, drink pure organic cranberry and pomegranate (has the same effect as cranberry), and yes it does taste like hell lol

"Thirdly, looks like you need to get stricter with your personal hygeine habits. No baths -- showers only. Dry extra throughly. Use a talcum-based powder, not one made of corn starch or corn silk. Wash all underwear, wash cloths and towels in HOT water with bleach. Speaking of underwear -- no more anal floss thongs -- white cotton briefs, loose not snug. Be especially careful to wash your panties alone -- cross infection is a very real possibility and one your mother and siblings (if any) won't appreciate."

I only take showers, powder is my friend, no perfumed soaps, always cotton, and I don't wear thongs lol (Ouch)

"Good luck. And DON'T SCRATCH!"

And I know lol

~Lily

10/8/06 3:10 PM  
Blogger emmapeelDallas said...

Ditto Wil's advice. Lily, I went to Planned Parenthood in my 40's when I was separated and had no insurance, and they were great. Good luck!

XO

Judi

10/8/06 8:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hmmmmm. It has been exceptually hot this year everywhere, that could be an issue. Definitely no more thongs and no tight jeans/pants/shorts. Powder? Ummm I've seen that get pretty nasty (coming from an ER nurse you that is a picture you might not want). Definitely go see the Planned Parenthood people. They can help alot. You could be right about the hormonal imbalance. Is your Mom adult onset diabetes? Diabetics are prone to yeast infections (not to freak you out but a question for you to pose when you see a doctor). De

13/8/06 12:09 AM  
Blogger betty said...

Lily; everyone gave you great advice above. I don't like Planned Parenthood because of them doing abortions, but they do also provide quality healthcare for those who need it at a reasonable price. Do you have a community clinic in town that works on a sliding scale based on income? We had one in Montana; not sure about here because I haven't looked. But that might help.

hugs to you; these are comfortable when we get them

17/8/06 8:49 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Right I've been telling you to go to Planned Parenthood for Months LOL But your mother freaked the hell out then and wouldn't let you go and wouldn't let you get on the pill but BOTH of those things are exactly what you need to do with or without insurance.

27/8/06 11:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home