Monday, May 7

Remembering

There are movies that get under your skin, they reach the deepest parts of you. They touch an old wound, they remind you of things that have been lost. I'm probably one of the few people that wants to remember that. I believe that remembering what you've lost, where you come from, the things you've seen and felt, is the greatest blessing there is. I believe that even the bad things, even the painful things, serve a greater purpose.

You might be wondering where this came from and it's very simple. I rented United 93 last week and finally forced myself to watch it. I knew it would emotionally drain me. And it did. But it reminded me too, and remembering is good.

It reminded me of how the day went. It reminded me of the many great Americans we lost that day. It reminded me of the wake up call this country got. I know that my generation had never considered such things a threat to our country, our way of life. I speak for myself on that I'm sure, but it's a point I'm convinced of. The motto was "at least it's not in our country." That viewpoint was eradicated with me after that day. Global politics suddenly became very important to me.

But what I really want to talk about, is bravery. A thing that seems in short supply these days, when holding a door open is about as brave and courageous as people get on a regular basis. We ignore our heroes; the people that protect us. We've lost respect for police, for our military, for our firefighters, coast guard. We've lost sight of what these men and women do on a routine basis. Every day, these people put their lives on the line. Ever day they're willing to give up family, marriage, friends, a future, for the sake of saving someone else's. Selfless is a word we don't use much anymore, yet that is what these men and women are. Selfless.

We're astonished when ordinary men and women, meaning teachers, cab drivers, stay at home mom, repair man, etc, put their lives, their well being on the line. But men and women who have devoted their lives to it, barely get a mention.

I pray we don't have another 9/11, I pray that this doesn't happen again in my lifetime, but I know it will. History repeats itself when we do not learn from it. And I don't believe this country learned what it should have. I don't believe that we remember what happened, that we remember the pain and devastation. I don't believe we remember that the ENTIRE COUNTRY SHUT DOWN on 9/11.

I don't believe we remember to protect ourselves, and these monsters that want to kill everyone that's different from them, have even used their OWN children to strap bombs too. When I say children I mean well under 16 years of age. I mean toddlers and infants. I don't think people remember that these extremists don't care who they kill, and willingly destroy the life of a child they gave birth too. If you think that it's the exception, you need to take a better look at what's going on. It's becoming much more popular than using just an adult. They learned we think that people with children are well intentioned, and are ready to use that against us.

We did not learn from the past. I have little doubt that these monsters will continue attacks, and there will be many more on this country before people finally wake up. I've had too many family members in the military to not know how screwed up public perception is. My grandfather worked classified cases in the Army, he has access to the the most highly classified files; if anyone would know the difference between what's being told and what's going on, it'd be him. It's times like these I wish he could tell me what to do.

But, I will still pray my children won't see a world like this. I pray that our country will understand soon. I pray that the lives of people, like those on United 93, people that have fought back, won't have died in vain.

1 Comments:

Blogger Will said...

Perhaps the next generations will have other issues to deal with and manage. The scepter of the Red Menace was THE big threat of the day in the past two generations. It may very well be the same for this threat. What happens after is something I cannot foresee, maybe a fight over resources, maybe renewed tensions from decades and centuries past.

You told me that there are people now in grade school that have no tangible idea what 9/11 was. But they, like those that came after Pearl Harbor, will receive their education. Hopefully our generation will be able to let them know about the world in a safer environment. The "9/11 generation," where we belong, will take command at some point. Hopefully with our education and our technology, we won't be caught like the Cold Warriors running the country were six years ago.

I don't have a desire to see that movie...I have enough memories to fill my mind as it is. Maybe it's part of the healing process, but I'm no longer vehemently opposed to watching it, though I can't guarantee I'd want to see it through the end. But these are the stories of our time, much like the stories of the past were based on events from the past and handed down over to the new generations.

We'll have our chance to deliver that message as well.

8/5/07 8:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home