Monday, December 10

I'm a Prude

Am I a prude?

On a forum I'm on, I started to look at people's profiles a lot more. I've never really done that before. I'd have to say about 85% of the women between 19-25 were mothers and unmarried. Those that were married weren't with the father.

What the hell. I'm sorry but this makes my brain hurt. (I'd like to note that the older of this group also had older children. Most of these women had their first at 19-21 yrs old.)

Honestly, I don't CARE how much you like sex. If you're not intending on being in a long relationship with someone, or at least having a relationship with the father, why are you being careless enough to get pregnant? Get your tubes tied if you really can't be bothered to put on a condom. (Spermicide anyone?)

My mother never made sex a bad thing. She never told me it was evil or that women that got pregnant were scum of the earth, none of that holier than thou thinking. My mom taught me mistakes happen, but that sex is and should always be a beautiful and special thing between two people. That a child, no matter how they were brought into this world, deserved a mother and father and a stable loving home.

I understand divorce, I understand accidentally getting pregnant, I understand all of this, I understand bad choices... in moderation. But having 85% of the women my age and slightly older on that board being mothers and not even being with the father? Something rings very very very wrong with me there.

Talk about a failure to educate your children on responsibility.

I just felt stunned looking through these profiles, one after another. Here I am 20 years old, and I can't even imagine WILLINGLY getting pregnant this young, no less having it happen accidentally.

What's the biggest failure here? Society, parental? Why are so many young women already mothers? And why are they doing it alone? What are we not teaching young men?

I couldn't help but notice the amount of MEN in the same age range... None claiming to be fathers, and very few claiming to be with someone, even less claiming marriage. How many young men aren't taking responsibility for the half of the genetic code belonging to them? How many were never even told they're fathers? How many said "you can't get pregnant the first time" or other loads of shit that overly horny young men have fed to overly naive young women since the beginning of time?

Does this REALLY not bother anyone else? Am I really turning into such a prude?

I just find it so sad that this is the norm. What kind of society are we going to have in twenty years when all these children, many who won't know their fathers and grow up with the mother serially dating, come of age? What kind of mentality are we nurturing?

Here we are, this supposedly more advanced and sexually mature society. We're supposed to be less prudish, more open and intelligent about such things. Yet... teen birth rates are raising for this first time in how long? Why aren't we teaching our children how important and beautiful sex should be?

Call me a prude, call me old fashioned. I know things can't always be ideal. But when did people stop trying to do the right thing for a child that can't decide for itself, instead of doing what was easier for them? Is putting on a condom (the right way) so absolutely terrible, when compared to bringing a life into the world well before you're ready?

But I guess teaching children morals before they start screwing around would offend someone.

3 Comments:

Blogger emmapeelDallas said...

Very timely, Lily, and I agree with you. In the wake of some horrendous news stories of children being murdered by (usually their mother's) boyfriends, I read a chilling statistic..."according to a 2005 study, children residing in households with unrelated adults were nearly 50 times as likely to die of inflicted injuries than children residing with 2 biological parents. One the flip side, children in households with a single parent and no other adults in residence had no increased risk of inflicted-injury death."

We glamorize raising children, and I say that as a woman who absolutely fiercely loves being a mother...but it's hard work...and really, children need two parents...

10/12/07 9:40 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

I don't think this says anything about your being a prude. I think it says a lot about values. I happen to agree with you too.

The only thing I'd add is that I think sometimes (more often than we realize) girls get pregnant not so "accidentally" or carelessly.

Sometimes the girl (or guy) just wants to have something to love...or to love them back. Sometimes one part of the couple wants to "hook" the other...but rarely does that work.

So yes, education is key...but we also need to educate on love, communication, etc. THOSE should be prerequisites in school!

Good post, Lily...

(got my mind off Shanti for a few minutes too) ; )

Nance

11/12/07 7:33 AM  
Blogger Lippy said...

There's always been a narcissistic element to American society, that's nothing new. But what's made things worse here is that so many people just do what they want, regardless of the consequences on anyone else's life. And that includes the most innocent victims: babies who don't have a choice in the matter.

Seeing people adding members to their family much the same way they'd add accessories to their wardrobe is just sickening. There's no reason for anyone to care anymore, because these morons who raise these charmers often take the burden on themselves to raise the new babies, thus relieving the careless wonders of any responsibility.

Like I said, it's sickening. We all have the right to "express ourselves", but using another human life as part of that process is just wrong.

11/12/07 12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home