Sunday, October 14

Unwanted

I felt it the moment she looked at me. That sudden disdain, that loathing, the same look a person has when they've seen a dangerous creature, an alien, something that could strike at any moment.

It didn't matter that I was smiling, it didn't matter that I had just done something nice.

I was "that neighbor."

So that's how long it takes for someone to go from friendly and nice, to being just like everyone else on the block.

"I was wondering if you know who this dog belongs to." I smile and nod to the pretty little girl lab on the end of the leash. "I found her in our yard."

"Oh. My brothers. We're dog sitting." The cold unfriendly stare. The judging eyes going up and down my body with complete distrust.

"No problem, just didn't want her running off." I grin but it feels so fake. I can feel her eyes cutting through me like daggers of ice.

My heart sank, and I suddenly felt like I was standing naked on national TV. I was humiliated for doing the right thing.

She probably didn't mean to. I'm sure she's not that kind of person. They were nice to us when they first moved here.

But the fact is I know what our neighbors think of us, the others got to her, made her think like they do. Think of that "damned dog" we have, my misunderstood creature. Big and odd looking. My mutt. I know that the mothers and the fathers circle together (separately of course, mothers with the children, fathers with their TV and beer) and they warned them about us. I know because I've seen them gathered in the driveways. I've felt the sudden silence when I step outside. They told them nasty untrue things like they have from the beginning. The way all people talk about things they don't understand and are unwilling to get to know.

"You don't belong here."

I see it when I go to get the mail every day and the mothers suddenly fall silent and stare at me. The fathers lean in closer and whisper.

God I wish this was an exaggeration. I wish the people on my block weren't like this. But when family comes and stays they feel it too. They ask "what's wrong with your neighbors?" and "they're awfully odd to you aren't they?" and I smile and nod and that's that. Even Will mentioned it.

It's terrible living in a neighborhood were people hate you because they just don't know you. Wait, let me change that. Because they just WON'T know you. They refuse. They prefer their assumptions and their wild ideas. The plain ordinary truth is just too plain and ordinary.

I don't understand these neighbors. I don't understand most of the people up here. I hear people say "oh it just takes a while, but once you get past their shell they're the nicest people you'll ever know!" Well, I've lived here six years. I don't have a single native friend. All the friends I've had moved here from out of state.

Maybe it's me. Maybe I'm just a strange person. Maybe they have a reason to torment my dog, to whisper behind my parents' backs, to let their dogs piss in our yard. Maybe they have a reason to say the hateful things they say when they think we can't hear them.

But I don't think it's us. It was never like this anywhere else I've ever lived. It's only here.

I can't wait to move. I want out of here so badly. I've met friendlier people on a New York subway. I'm tired of being the unwanted neighbor that the neighborhood counts the days until you leave.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

To hell with all of them! I know it doesn't make living there very easy (been there done that), just don't let them see that they are getting to you. Just keep being you and don't let their judgments cloud who you are inside. Not much longer now and you and Will are going to be together. Focus on the future. De ;)

15/10/07 9:24 AM  
Blogger goddessdivine said...

Crappy neighbors SUCK!! Some people are just so judgmental (and ignorant). Sorry you have to deal with that. I think they are the ones with the problem(s). To harbor those kind of unfounded ill feelings is so unhealthy and unchristian.

15/10/07 3:07 PM  
Blogger E said...

:( It sucks to live with people that don't appreciate you - especially when you are such an amazing person. XXOO-Eileen P.S. Hope u are well other than that

16/10/07 6:58 AM  
Blogger Lippy said...

Wow, sounds like you moved into one of the circles of hell. That's terrible. You've always seemed very decent, friendly and personable to me, and from what I've read of your family, there's nothing there to indicate why you'd be regarded in anything less than a friendly light.
Eventually, you'll be away from there. The only positive thing I think we can find in this is a gentle reminder on how to treat newcomers.
Sorry, Lily. I know that stinks.

17/10/07 6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home